Since 1 January 2018, the following current VAT rates apply in Switzerland:
Normal rate: 7,7 %
The normal rate is 7,7 %.
Special rate: 3,7 %
Accommodation services (overnight stays with breakfast) in the hotel and accommodation business (e.g. letting of holiday apartments) are subject to a rate of 3,7 % until the end of 2027.
Reduced rate: 2,5 %
A reduced rate of 2,5 % applies for certain categories of goods and services, particularly:
- Foodstuffs (except alcoholic beverages) according to the Foodstuffs Act of 20 June 2014 (exception: the normal rate applies for foodstuffs that form part of restaurant services);
- Cattle, poultry, fish;
- Seeds, living plants, cut flowers;
- Animal feed and fertilizer;
- Newspapers, magazines, books and other printed products without advertising character of the kinds to be stipulated by the Federal Council;
- Electronic newspapers, magazines and books without advertising character of the kinds to be stipulated by the Federal Council;
- Services of radio and television companies (exception: the normal rate applies for services of a commercial nature).
Last modification 14.12.2021